Franklin Half - Hanger Variety

I was just sorting through some of my coins and I have 1853-S and 1953-D Franklin Halves, both certified by PCGS. The 1953-S is graded an MS-65 while the 1953-D is graded an MS-63. Visually, the 1953-D looks like a higher grade coin than does the 1953-S.

I pulled my loop to magnify the surface of the coins to see why the 1953-D was graded lower than the 1953-S even though to the naked eye, it appears to be a nicer coin. While analyzing them to make sure the 1953-D had more than the 1953-S due to the lower grade, based on how scuffed up it is under magnification I noticed something interesting.

My 1953-D Franklin, PCGS MS-63FBL has a little raised metal just below the nostril. Therefore I have dubbed this die variety the "Hanger". It appears as though Ben Franklin has a booger dangling. I'm sure it's not a nose hair due to its width relative to the size of the nose, unless it's a booger coated nostril hair.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...