How To Photograph Coins

One can photograph their coins in various ways, a simple snapshot with their iPhone, a scanner, or using a professional SLR camera. Of course, with an SLR one can have a much more controlled environment with which to take the pictures.
Below is a photo I took of an 1885-O PCGS MS-62 Morgan Dollar with my iPhone 5s camera.


Below is an image of a scan of a Buffalo Nickel taken with a scanner.


While one can set a camera or scanner to save in the highest possible setting, there are still some limitations to the image quality. This is because even if the image is saved as a high quality tiff file it still lacks the latitude of color correction that raw files tend to possess. In the video below I demonstrate how to set up the camera and what accessories would be beneficial to take the photographs. I then demonstrate how one can edit the image. In last part of the video, I showcase a few coins photographed with my SLR.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...